"Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive...then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
Howard Thurman

Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy Monday

Great progress today - both in terms of reinforcing why we're here and in me finding a job.

We were able to spend some time with a few patients at a small field hospital near our home.  The staff was playing music to get everyone up and moving - in North America it's called Physical Therapy.  In Haiti with one PT to cover everyone it works.  Even one of the girls we first saw that looked quite sad when we arrived was up swaying to the music on her new prosthetic leg. 


We had some new friends over for lunch which was fun because we rarely eat lunch so it was nice to indulge.  I'm learning my way around the kitchen here and have been successful in two trips to the market.


At 1:30, as were preparing for our 1:00 visitors to arrive (right on time in Haiti :)) I had a phone call wondering if I could make time that afternoon for a second interview with an organization that I really admire.  I phoned Jonial, the man that's been helping us navigate the city, and within 1 hour he made his way here.  Another hour in the car to go a few miles and then what I hope was a great interview.  Will know more soon.


I arrived home to see a woman with a new prostheses in our courtyard.  Al offered to help get her up and moving and watching her smile and laugh as she walked around the house, backward and forward, shuffling side to side, and up and down the stairs was enough for me to know we are in the right place at the right time.


Of course there was the following three hours when we discovered her ride home had broken down and we were scrambling to find someone to take her home,  With a neighbor to the rescue, we had another reminder that we are, after all, in Haiti and most people are willing to lend a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment