"Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive...then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
Howard Thurman

Sunday, May 30, 2010

R&R

R&R had a whole different meaning before I started working for an NGO.  Now I know that it's the time you are told to take every 6 weeks of working 6 days a week in the field/office.  I've learned that every country has a different policy and it's all based on working and living conditions, safety concerns, level of work, etc.  All of the things that warrant forced time off when working like we do.  

Al and I had this weekend planned on the north shore of the Dominican Republic before I started my job, but it seemed to fill the requirements.  We had a great weekend and I learned what $70 US/night will buy - we stayed at the resort shown in the photo and each had a delicious breakfast both mornings.  We were in a town on the coast called Sosua.  Not the easiest place to reach from Port au Prince but a direct flight from almost anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.  Our biggest decision yesterday was whether to swim in the sea or the pool each time we got too warm.  Very relaxing!

We managed the driving and I was able to navigate myself from the middle of Santiago to the middle of Santo Domingo without getting lost and most importantly not getting hit or hitting anyone, or anything, else! I left Al in Santiago for a meeting tomorrow - he'll be back on Tuesday. 

I'm back home in Port au Prince ready for work tomorrow - no official observance of Memorial Day celebration outside the U.S. and military bases, but I will take a few moments for my own reflection and thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the blog updates, Deb. Keep them coming! They give a good sense of what you're seeing and doing and helps create a more realistic picture of your new life for all of us back home. Think of you everyday and imagining what you're doing. xoxo Michael

    ReplyDelete