"Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive...then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
Howard Thurman

Friday, May 7, 2010

Shopping

I'm not sure many people that haven't been here understand that with enough time and money you can buy almost anything in Haiti.  I've had several trips to two different markets for food and found one store to buy housewares.  One of the markets reminds me (for anyone that remembers) of Cub Foods in 1982.  Warehouse style where they put your food in a box as you check out. There are also all of the street vendors that sell everything from basic grocery items to beauty supplies to hardware, furniture and used tiresOur neighbor (pictured above) sells delicious fresh baked bread like my grandma used to make AND you can get a haircut or a pedicure.  I have never shopped for clothes here but there are a wide variety of options available from a street vendor (like in the photo) or a small boutique-like store.  I walked by a store yesterday with a shirt that Al might wear but haven't seen anything that caught my eye for myself (mostly because the sizes look like they'd fit on one thigh). 

No comments:

Post a Comment