- "How can Haiti consider itself a free country when we have to borrow money to hold elections?" Stated by one of our Haitian friends this week.
- Why is new sheet metal being used to build fences around big business and churches instead of to build homes?
- Are the 50 roosters living next door used for cock fighting?
- Are you also finding yourself already instinctively knowing when to hold your breath/not inhale when we're on the street and we're approaching a particularly bad smell?
- Did you see how the faces of the other people with amputations lit up when the young girl put her new prostheses on and started walking with so much joy?
- What to do about transportation? Port au Prince is even more difficult to navigate than ever. So many roads are filled with tents/closed and traffic is worse than ever so we really need a driver, at least short term. We have one that we really like but he's very expensive ($110 US) and his vehicle isn't very reliable. Do we buy our own truck and have him drive it for a while? Prices are so inflated right now and how do we know whatever we buy would be reliable? Do we find someone else who is less expensive?
Enough of that - it's time for a workout, another language lesson and then we're off to an orphanage for the afternoon.